2CoolFishing

2CoolFishing (http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/index.php)
-   General Fishing Discussion (http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   anchoring at jetties (http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=155557)

the big iron 03-18-2008 08:06 AM

anchoring at jetties

it seems like there have been several posts about this in the past, but i've been unable to locate them... anyway, are there special precautions that should be taken while anchoring at the jetties?

Thanks guys!

boom! 03-18-2008 08:15 AM

ship wake, currents and holding are my concerns. I use an aluminum grapple style anchor for the jetties and throw up into the rocks. When leaving if it is stuck, I just motor back and pull the legs straight and out. Then bend them back for next time.

Redfishr 03-18-2008 08:16 AM

If you get too close, you take the chance of getting your anchor stuck in rocks.
But ofcourse when trout fishing out there getting close is the way to go.
I dont trout fish out there.
So for Big Drum fishin I stay away from the jetties about 70 or more yards.
I have know folks to loose anchors.
Now, some folks make what they call JETTY anchors.
Its a concrete form of a 2 litre coke bottle of something of the sort with rebar sticking out of it in big hooks. Usually 6 hooks in a circle.
They get real close and the hooks usually hook into the rocks on bottom. They then use the boats power to bend the hook out of shape and free the boat. Then they just bend the rod back into shape to re-anchor. I have seen them made from aluminum and sold commercially as well.

KillaHookset 03-18-2008 08:20 AM

Keep the outboard running until you are sure that the anchor is holding, watch for big ship wakes and have enough rode out so that when one comes through it will not toss you up on the rocks. Ive never lost an anchor fishing the jetties in several years of fishing there but I have seen other who have. Bring an extra just in case.

Tortuga 03-18-2008 08:51 AM

Good info above...but remember also..when you're ready to leave..crank up your motor FIRST and be sure it's running in a good steady idle before you even think about pulling loose your anchor. Seen too many guys haul anchor , run to the motor and NO POWER.. Wind or tide blowing towards the rocks and you can be toast in just seconds or minutes, and in a contest between granite and fiberglas...granite wins everytime...

Dani California 03-18-2008 09:08 AM

I second what Tortuga is warning you about.

Jetty anchors have always worked for me by using a 4 foot long or larger anchor. It seems that the smaller anchors are the ones that get stuck in between the rocks. The larger Flukes will not get stuck in the cracks between the rocks.

Biggie:biggrin:

Captain Dave 03-18-2008 11:37 AM

All great posts above. I use the Mighty Might anchor from Acad. Sets well in other bottom conditions as well.

Watch out for the tidal changes and dont have tooo much rode that when you spin directions that you dont spin in to the rocks.

Redfishr 03-18-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani California
I second what Tortuga is warning you about.

Jetty anchors have always worked for me by using a 4 foot long or larger anchor. It seems that the smaller anchors are the ones that get stuck in between the rocks. The larger Flukes will not get stuck in the cracks between the rocks.

Biggie:biggrin:

4 foot or BIGGER anchor ????
I'd hate to have to pull that in.

DMC 03-18-2008 12:08 PM

Forget pulling it in, I wouldn't have anywhere to put it when it got here...

I use the Mighty Mite anchor, you can get them at Academy.

When you arrive at your spot at the jetties (not in the channel hopefully), go to idle and determine which is the boss, wind or current. This will tell you how you want to anchor. Current and wind will change, so your boat might swing around if you sit there long enough. I have a tide chart on my Garmin that works really well for this, but you can usually tell when the tide is about to overpower the wind. Sometimes you can trim your engine up and adjust the boat position this way.

Like another poster said, start your engine first. Don't fish out there alone, and make sure the person you are fishing with knows what your plans are, because one person will be operating the boat and one will be operating the anchor, communication is key. It's really easy to get too close, so err on the side of caution. It's better to be too far away than too close.

boashna 03-18-2008 01:02 PM

Anchoring- The best all around anchor is a Dan forth with a ring and best place to buy is at academy. The ring allows you to pull the anchor from 180 deg (opposite) angel and free it. If you ever get stuck , tie the rope to the cleat and use reverse only at low rpm to pull the rope from opposite direction . do not use excessive engine force , easy does it . the anchor must have a chain and it has to be at least 3 time longer than the depth . the chain helps the anchor to set and more rope will set the anchor faster. 3 times the depth is good point to start . you should never anchor from back as waves can enter the boat . never pull the anchor at the jetties and then try to start the engine . You may have engine problem and not be able to set the anchor in time and a visit to a fiberglass shop is expensive when you try to break the rocks with your boat bouncing on the jetties. if you ever had boat problem , you must anchor first before you work on the boat . Have you ever seen a pleaser boat in shipping lane with a dead engine while a tanker is trying to avoid crushing it .

waves happen in shallow near ship channels (4ft or less) the deeper the water less chance of big waves. if wind is above 17mph avoid going to the tip as you may be greeted with giant waves . more rope means better chance of anchoring and there are times that no matter what you do the current is so strong , you can not anchor.

Champion22 03-18-2008 01:07 PM

I agree with everyones comments on keeping the big motor running. Saturday, we had two boats come close to both us and the rock while trying to use a trolling motor and an anchor with a rope that was too short. It hurt to watch because it was a beautiful brand new skeeter bay boat. Obviously it was this guys first trip to the jetties. He was also so close to us, after he circled 4 or 5 times, we basically said "hey, get a longer rope or find some shallower water, but whatever you do, move away from us!"

Watched another guy anchor his cruiser about 10 feet from the jetties with his girl sitting on the front. Scary close. I guess some people just don't understand the fact that one big wave, one anchor slip, one mishap and those rocks will hurt you something BAAAD. Only will take one time. Just my .02