Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB

Notices

Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Registered Users-pm+

ROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of GunnerROOSTER REDCHASER has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Clancey is a class act.......a real artist.
It's kinda like a Mercedes.....if you can afford it, and like the best, then go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Worldangler

JohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to Pirate
Hmmmm

I've pretty much decided on a 21' RFL Majek...I KNOW these boats and I know that it will do everything I NEED. However, I owe it to myself to look around at other boats. Lots of flats boats with the same styling that are very good boats: Shoalwater, SouthShore, FlatsCat, etc. The list goes on and on... and while these boats are good, they offer nothing, IMHO, over a Majek - I know a Majek will last 20 years - 'cause I got one - the proven track history with me goes a LONG way.

But....there are some other styles are very interesting and may offer features not available to Majeks. First, the RFL series doesn't pole - there have been times I wanted to pole. Secondly, the flat hull does give you a beating under certain circumstances.

Going to a pointy nose boat will sacrifice some shallow water performance - the main reason I don't consider a Majek Extreme. The ones that offer comparable shallow water draft, and will get up in the same amount of water ALL sacrifice bow deck casting area - it's one of those trade offs - you want better rough water handling, you give up something.

For me, I would rather take a wet, rough ride a few days a year to have the room up front a lot more days....

Now Haynie used to make a H20 boat that has the shallow water performance of the RFL and takes rough water better. The front casting area is still pretty large for a pointy-nose. However, they don't make 'em anymore and I don't know of any owners that want to part with theirs. The H20 was (and is) a great comprimise boat. The only negative I've heard is that if you aren't paying attention, you can bury in the nose in rough waves and swap ends.

The main reason I'm upgrading is that I want a boat that will handle 4 anglers for wading and 3 drifting....at 18' that eliminates the Hewes Redfisher. I know they make a new 21' Redfisher - and that boat is on my list, but the seating is more the Florida style and setup for 2 anglers. It is also narrower, heavier, and requires more HP - and it's pricey too. Someone told me that it draws 11" of water - almost twice a RFL. If true, that crosses off the list for Texas use.

Now that IBIS really caught my eye - clean decks for flyfishing - a hull that's very close to the Haynie H20, and I am very intrigued by the hidden deck storage - specifically the rod lockers - that is a NICE feature that I haven't seen on other flats boats. It weighes about the same and only has a 5" draft - same as RFL. The only question I had was if it ran and got up as shallow as RFL....but.....

at $45K it is WAY overpriced. I could buy TWO 2004 21' RFL for that price and burn one of them! It may be a fine boat - but there's no way anyone could justify to me paying $45K for it - shoot, that's what I paid for my Contender used! I mean, what does that boat have or can do that's worth $20K more than a RFL? Geez! Now if I win the lottery or find a bag of money, I'll be giving Clancy a call.........

In the meantime I'm still hunting for 21' RFL w/ a TRP....I may have to buy a new one (at $32K) 'cause there doesn't appear to be a SINGLE ONE for sale on the Texas coast (that should tell ya something). Shoot, there was one for sale in POC last May for $18K that I was thinking about - but it didn't last long. Oh well, I'm in no hurry...one will turn up eventually and I can go a few more months without a boat payment....or I may just get one with an Optimax - there are 3 available in Texas - and I understand the mileage is about twice as good as a TRP....
Old 07-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Registered Users-pm+

JOSEPHDONNA@VERIZON.NET is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
donnajoe

i seen not too long ago cool! but too much $

Last edited by JOSEPHDONNA@VERIZON.NET; 07-23-2005 at 04:32 AM. Reason: do not want my email address shown
Old 07-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Reel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to PirateReel Bender has been promoted to Pirate
A neighbor used to have an H20, the only down side I saw with them is they slide preety bad in a turn at speed. At idle is worse!!!! LOL
Old 07-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Going back to the New Water Boats, Tim Clancey has his bayhouse next to mine in Holiday Beach and he is a cool guy to talk to and deal with. My other neighbor has been running New Water Boats for awhile and loves them. He does a lot of fly fishing. I think my neighbor is trying to sale his New Water, because I saw a different one under his house the other day. Not sure though. I will be in down there this Tuesday. I will get some information if you are still interested and get back to this post next week.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Worldangler

JohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to Pirate
TroutSniffer

Yes - I like the boat very much - just not the price...let me know what you find out..
Old 07-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered Users-pm+

RPool has disabled reputation
Ronnie's has a 2004 RFL - sure you already know about it - but has a Merc 150. You could re-power with a TRP if you can 'off' the Merc on someone. Aubrey likes them - try him, then buy a man's engine (LOL).
Old 07-25-2005, 10:36 AM
An Over 50 Victim Of Fate

Trouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to Pirate
John, Captain Jon Fails in Corpus is going to sell his with a TRP on it. You can visit his website, www.landcut.com for his number and give him a call.

He's really big on taking care of his equipment so it may be worth your time to talk to him.

TH
Old 07-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Trout Sniffer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Hey John, talked to my neighbor and he had sold his first New Water and he said that he will be selling the one he has now in 7-06. Just wanted to get back with you to let you know. Did not want to leave you hangin. Good luck on what ever you get.