Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Se habla ingles?

SS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSS Minnow has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Majek 18' RFL--90 vs 115 hp Yamaha

For those that own or have owned a RFL 18', would the 100 lb difference in weight make up for some of the hp difference? Assuming that the load is typically 2-3 people w/o a lot of gear, how does the 90 perform in regards to hole shot? Not concerned about top speed.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Registered Users-pm+

bayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterbayouboy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
Not a majek but I have a similar boat with the Shoalwater 18 flats and I run a 115 hp on mine. It shoots out of the hole now that I have it propped correctly. I think it is worth the difference but have not seen performance with a 90.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Registered Users-pm+

kenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunkenner27 has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
go with the 115. have and 18' rfl and it does great with that motor.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Flour Bluffian by choice

jonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejonnylaw has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
I'm repowering a 92 RFL 18 I acquired a few months ago, I was really considering a 90. The boat came with the original 115, so I've never had any experience with the 90. After talking to some mechanics, other boat owners and reputable shops (good ol Donnie in Palacios), they all said the 90 would just be working too hard with that boat. Everyone said to go with the max horsepower and have some "horsepower reserved". It makes the most sense to me now, so I'm going with a 115 again.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 AM
2006 NewWater IBIS w/ F150 TRP

gregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateergregs1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Probably the 115 HP. That 90 Yamaha is a weak 90 HP. Take a look at the displacement between the two engines.....its equates to more than 25 HP....
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Registered Users-pm+

BOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of GunnerBOCA PAILA has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
90 VS 115

RAN MY 18 RFL FOR 1 YR WITH 90 AND UP GRADED TO 115 ETEC. I WAS MUCH HAPPIER WITH THE 115 AND HAVE HAD THE 115 ETEC FOR 2 YRS NOW..... BETTER HOLE SHOT AND RUN ABOUT 2/3 THROTTLE W/ 115....FOR THE SAME SPEED ON THE 90 WOT.... JUST SOLD RFL AND WENT TO THE ILLUSION.... 115 IS THE WAY TO GO.......
Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Registered Users-pm+

TexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to PirateTexasSpecs has been promoted to Pirate
I've got the 115 etec on mine. Doesn't need all the horses all the time, but it sure is nice to have'em.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Registered Users-pm+

railbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Pirate
never put any horsepower less than the boat is rated for, and you will be much happier. Having to buy a bigger motor after you select too low horsepower is very expensive. johnylaw is right always better to have more hp in the bag than being maxed out needing more.
chuck
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Whittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of RiggerWhittle has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
drum

Uncle had to upgrade to 115 from 90 Yamaha. 115 is better balance and it doesn't have to wark as hard.

Look I went with 225 on SCB Stingray and already switching to 300 Mercury due to Honda performance issues.

Good Luck!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered Users-pm+

El Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to PirateEl Cazador has been promoted to Pirate
The 90 HP Yamaha is a 3 cyl. and will not give you the low end torque you need to get you out of shallow water with a grass grass bottom. I ran a 18'RFL with a Yamaha 115 and it had a 14" dia., 3 blade 17p w/welded cup. Worked perfect. Go with the 115