Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board

Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Registered Users-pm+

FISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to Pirate
shark What is the Best Surf Rod/Reel setup?

I am looking into getting into surf fishing. I need to know what is a good rod/reel setup for surf fishing. Also what type of leaders do i need to get? I will be fishing surf side, Bryan, Quintana, and Galveston. I would appreciate some good input. Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Spectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to PirateSpectaker has been promoted to Pirate
A lot of that is a matter of opinion. Lol.
Just get a reel that holds a good amount of 15-20lb test and a surf rod (9-12ft) with the appropriate specifications to match it.
As far as leaders go, academy and other sporting stores sell premades ones as well as bait shops.
A lot of it will just be trial/error and figuring out what you like. Txsharkfishing.com has some good advice on surf fishing.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Fish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFish_On_TX has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
when im soaking my 5nbait daiwa emcast 12ft rod pair with daiwa emblem pro loaded with #30 with #50 ande shock leader. i can cast 100-150 yrd. if u just starting off buy something cheap once u get the hang of it set up ur gear.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Registered Users-pm+

FISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to PirateFISHINFOOL87 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the input guys. What size Hooks do you use and do you use circle hooks or just the regular hooks. Also what about the leader mono or steel?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Registered Users-pm+

By the way Tx-sharkfishing is a great website!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Chris - Lost Boys Outdoors

HuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to Pirate
that really all depends on the style of fishing you plan on doing and what you are expecting to catch. I always bring at least 3-4 different styles of rods when I surf fish and many more different ways to rig each type of rod.

I bring a rod for wading, usually a trout rod. A long rod for casting chunk baits. A lighter shark rod for yaking small baits, and a large shark rod for yaking big baits.

Give us some input on what you plan on doing and maybe we can help out a little more. Also what does your budget look like? That will be a big factor in the gear we recommend
Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Registered Users-pm+

I have several trout/ red setups for artificial. I also have a couple short rods with penn 320 and 340. My 2 long surf rods have penn senators on them. I am looking at buying a kayak but don't know what would be best for the surf. How long, open, wide etc any suggestions would help. How far should i yak these baits out...I always fish surfside!!! (close to the house)

I am going on a over night trip to surfside with a couple buddies sep 3. (LABOR DAY)
Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Also what reel should I buy that fairly descent price for yaking the bait way out there. What kind of leader set-ups should I make/Buy I am pretty crafty so I wouldn't mind making my own.

Last edited by FISHINFOOL87; 08-25-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered Users-pm+

troutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Pirate
I like my Daiwa SHA 50 and a 10' surfrod from FTU. I have 65# Suffex Braid and topped off with 50# mono and use Mustad 16/0 Circle Hooks, Leader 400 mono or cable.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:22 AM
My boat....has WHEELS

JOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to PirateJOHNNYREB has been promoted to Pirate
The BEST rod and reel set up for the surf.....Imo....there isnt one.